|History of the Church||Main Menu|
The Church of St James the Great, South Leigh, Oxfordshire.
The Church Building
The nave has an arcade of arches, possibly Tudor, separating it from the north aisle. Corbels on the north wall are decorated with stone heads. The fine south doorway is 13th century. The wall paintings in the nave, like those elsewhere in the church, are 14th and 15th century. They have been restored many times, most recently in 1992. They are a dramatic and unique representation of an early church's teaching to village people who were unable to read or write.
Over the Chancel arch is a wonderfully vigorous Doom painting, or Last Judgement. Two angels blow the last trump. The dead rise from their graves, among them a king, a queen, a mitred bishop and a merchant.
The Chancel is the earliest part of the church. The doorway in the south wall is Norman; in the north wall there is a Norman window, and the pillar piscina and ambry south of the altar are Early English.
The pulpit is Jacobean. John Wesley preached his first sermon here in 1725 at the invitation of the rector of Stanton Harcourt; he preached again at South Leigh in 1771, but was not allowed in the church.
The font itself is 15th century; in the 19th century it was coverless; the cover was designed by Sebastian Comper in 1948.
The Parishes of Cogges and South Leigh form a joint benefice within the Diocese of Oxford. All administration for St. James the Great is done by Cogges Church Office.
St. James is a small, friendly and supportive Christian community made up of families and individuals from the village and from Witney.
Now as before, the life of the Church at St James The Great South Leigh revolves around worship of God and celebration of His love for us. Traditional services, together with a Junior Church and young people's group, offer opportunities for celebration and for sharing the good news of Jesus Christ "the same, yesterday, today and forever".
|The Parish Church of St. James the Great, South Leigh, Oxfordshire.||Copyright © St. James the Great South Leigh Parochial Church Council, 2006|
|Updated 22nd November 2005||Feedback|